Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Top heavy? The answer to prune hard or prune light.

I promise to let my decision be known on whether to prune my SN Almost Lover rose hard or prune it light. A week after my earlier post on this, I decided to just leave the tree alone.

I know for a fact that hybrid tea such as this ought to be pruned hard. But I decided to let nature takes its course. After all, those roses left in the wild (mostly wild roses) never receive pruning but remain vigorous and flowering as ever. But of course, hybrid tea is a different class of roses altogether.

Pruning this tree was a dilemma because it has only one main cane. I fear pruning it heavily may result it unable to sustain itself during last few months of nasty weather. I was hoping it would grow more new bottom branches for extra foliage, before any hard pruning is done.

My decision was right. A week later, the tree gave new shoots at the lower part of the main cane. And in weeks followed, more new branches grew.


However, no basal breaks were produced which I was hoping a hard pruning to deliver.



Heavy flowering on top on one cane wonder.


Finally, the moment much awaited for. 1 ft growth in less than a week!

After the week ended, a bud formed.

The total look.

And this is last week's photo of blooms, they all came from the lower part of the tree, which now has turned bushy.
Top portion was only lightly pruned and currently as densely growing new shoots. 

Author and copyright of Rough Rosa


8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Rosa, usually I will prune. But I believe you will know what's best for your rose ;-)

Malar said...

Hi ROSA,
I'm new to your blog! Your blog have many interesting information on roses!

SF said...

I am totally lost when come to pruning. I have noticed the shapes of some of my rose plants look ugly due to my poor pruning skill. Still have a lot to learn from you!

kitchen flavours said...

You have beautiful roses! I have given up on roses, each plant that I bought will only last about two to three months, and they will wilt away. I am really hopeless when it comes to roses and chili plants! I have much to learn from your blog. I'm signing up as your follower!

James David said...

Do you replant the pruned branches?
Can they do well if they were planted?

Autumn Belle said...

Your roses are lovely. I can't stop admiring them. I think I'll look for some roses to grow soon!

ROUGH.ROSA said...

Hi Steph, pruning is a mean to an objective of what we wanna accomplish, hence we prune light, we prune hard, we don't prune at all or wait to prune. You are right, the tree looks like it needs pruning. Right now, I am buying time, just waiting for what more the tree can do for me & be surprised.

ROUGH.ROSA said...

Hi Malar, glad you came by. Hope you had great time here and found something useful/memorable to bring home.

Aaron,the tree is about 3 yrs old. Good practice you have there & it's sufficient. My opinion, prune only if there's a need to prune. If not, leave the tree alone.

Hi SF, when it comes to pruning, since we can snip snip, we thought we have control over the plant, but little that we know our pruning doesn't always dictate how the plant grows. The plant shape is mainly aesthetic, don't worry too much. Look at the roses instead of the thorns. :)

Hi kitchen flavours, first of all, welcome!. And funny u should say chilies and roses.. cause you know what? To my opinion, they do share same challenges..

James, yes you can replant pruned canes/stems but when it comes to propagating, choosing the right cutting is important - not too old and not too new.. so not all pruned stems can be used, just some. And yes, they do well, same like the mother plant.

Autumn Belle, thanks & welcome to the world of roses then! Good luck and enjoy your roses!